So simple, so quick, so delicious! And mushrooms, oh my goodness I don’t have enough words to describe how good and full of nutrients mushrooms are. Mushrooms are a rich, low calorie source of fiber, protein, and antioxidants. They may also mitigate the risk of developing serious health conditions, such as Alzheimer’s, heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. They’re also great sources of: Selenium.
Here’s a great recipe I tried recently, found on Pinterest courtesy of www.saltandlavender.com. Without saying so specifically each time/ingredient, I use ALL vegan/plantbased ingredients. So, if it says “butter” I use a plantbased butter.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
4 ounces uncooked pasta (your choice) I love wide noodles or fettuccine!
3 tablespoons butter (divided)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion (chopped)
7 oz mushrooms (cremini or button) sliced
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup Veg broth or white wine
1/2 tsp lemon juice + zest of 1/2 lemmon
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (vegan)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Boil a salted pot of water and cook the pasta al dente according to package directions.
- While that’s happening, prep the rest of your ingredients.
- Add the oil and 1 tblsp of butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the onions and mushrooms. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the water has been released from the mushroom and cooked off and everything gets a good sear and is browned/caramelized (brings a ton of flavor). Should take 8-10 minutes or possibly a bit longer.
- Stir in the rest of the butter, plus the garlic and Dijon mustard. Cook for about a minute.
- Add in the broth and lemon juice and zest, and let it bubble for about a minute or so.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese and parsley. Add a splash of the hot pasta water prior to draining the pasta (just a few tablespoons) and then toss the pasta with the sauce. Season with salt and pepper as needed and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply